Looking for a dinner idea to impress your friend or significant other? Look no further! Not only is this dish delicious, but it is super healthy and has amazing visual appeal: Chicken Thighs in a Savoury-Orange Sauce with Sweet Potato Mash and Roasted Garlic Kale. Now, the reason I used chicken thighs in this recipe is for two reasons: 1) Chicken Thighs have more flavor than Chicken Breasts and 2) Chicken Thighs are HALF the price of chicken breasts. I would try it out!
The Evolved Method:
– 2 Large Chicken Thighs
– 1/4 Cup of Flour
– 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
– 1 tsp Salt
– 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
– 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
– 1 Tbsp of Butter
– 3/4 cup Orange Juice
– 1/2 cup Chicken Broth
– 1/4 cup White Wine
– 1/2 tsp Thyme
– 1/2 tsp Parsley
1) Mix the Flour, Brown Sugar, Salt, and Pepper together and spread it out on a plate or baking sheet.
2) Coat the Chicken Thighs with the flour mixture.
3) Heat a METAL SKILLET (NOT A NON-STICK SKILLET) over medium heat and place in the Olive Oil and the Butter.
4) Once the Butter and Olive Oil are hot, place the flour-coated chicken in the skillet. Let the pieces cook for about 5 minutes on each side (or until the “fond” (chicken pieces that become stuck on the pan while it cooks) is made on the skillet). Remove the chicken from the skillet and place them in a casserole dish and set aside. IMPORTANT: Do not burn the fond that still resides in the pan!! Instead, you are going to scrape it a couple of times so the little bits become loose in the pan.
5) To make the sauce, add in about 3/4 cup of Orange Juice, 1/2 cup of Chicken Broth, 1/4 cup of White Wine, 1/2 tsp of Thyme, and 1/2 tsp of Parsley. Reduce heat to low. Stir the mixture in the pan while letting the fond dissolve into the mixture.
6) After the sauce has been simmering in the skillet for about 5 minutes and the fond is dissolved, pour the sauce over the chicken in the casserole dish. Cover the dish with a lid and place in the oven at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes.
The Sweet Potato Mash:
– 1 Large Sweet Potato
– 1/2 – 3/4 Cup of Milk
– 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
1) Cut the Sweet Potato down the middle (LENGTHWISE). Place the Sweet Potato sides inside down on a baking sheet. Place in the oven and roast at 450 degrees for about 30-40 minutes.
2) Peel the skins off of the sweet potatoes (they should come off easily) and discard. Place the two sweet potato halves in a mixing bowl, add the milk and cinnamon and begin mashing until relatively smooth.
– 1 Bunch of Kale
– 2-4 Garlic Cloaves, minced
– 3 Tbsp of Olive Oil
– 1 Tsp of Kosher Salt
1) Rinse off the Kale thoroughly and dry. Tear the leaves from the stems and discard the stems. Tear the leaves into smaller pieces and place them on a baking sheet.
2) Sprinkle on the garlic and salt and then drizzle with the olive oil. Toss.
3) Pop the Kale into the oven and roast at 450 degrees for 6 minutes. Turn the Kale, then roast for another 5 minutes.
1) On a clean white plate, place half of the sweet potato mash in the center. Place one of the chicken thighs so that it leans on the sweet potato mash. Place about 1/4 cup of the sauce around the center. Then, place the kale beside the chicken.
Enjoy with a glass of red wine 🙂